We want to let you know that ISPARC is still accepting applications for the Premier’s Awards. If you know of a young deserving athlete, please encourage them to apply.
NEW deadline for 2022 Premier’s Awards nominations is Friday, December 16, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (PST).
About the Awards
The Province of British Columbia and the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity & Recreation Council (I·SPARC) have collaborated to establish the Premier’s Awards for Indigenous Youth Excellence in Sport to celebrate the outstanding achievements of Indigenous youth athletes throughout the province.
The Premier’s Awards for Indigenous Youth Excellence in Sport recognizes athletes who have achieved excellence in performance sport and are regarded for their leadership qualities both on and off the field of play.
Nominations will be accepted for youth athletes 24 years of age or younger (born in 1998 or later) who are competing in performance sport. A maximum of 36 awards will be given out, with up to six awards within each of I·SPARC’s regions: Northeast, Northwest, Interior, Fraser, Vancouver Coastal, Vancouver Island. Recipients will be honoured at virtual regional ceremonies held late 2022.
Here is a link to the Northeast:
To be eligible for the awards, an athlete must meet the following criteria:
- Has been a permanent resident of B.C. for the last 12 months
- Is of Indigenous ancestry (First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit)
- Is 24 years of age or younger (born in 1998 or later)
- Is actively participating in a recognized provincial sport and/or a regional/traditional sport and shows evidence of high athletic ability and performance results
- Is enrolled in school and is actively pursuing or planning to pursue a post-secondary education
Past Regional recipients remain eligible until they are 25 years of age. Past Provincial recipients are not eligible to receive the award in subsequent years.
Nomination forms can be filled out online. If you are unable to submit online, or cannot attach reference letters due to file size, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Online: https://isparcbc.wufoo.com/forms/2022-premiers-awards-nomination-form-copy/
- Nomination Form 2022 (Word)
- Nomination Form 2022 (PDF)
- Declaration of Indigenous Ancestry
- Nomination Forms must be completed in full. Incomplete forms will NOT be considered.
- NEW deadline for nominations is Friday, December 16, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. (PST).
- Late applications will NOT be accepted.
The Award’s selection committee will assess nominees using the following five criteria:
- Sport Achievements — Pursuing and achieving sport performances leading towards podium placements at regional, provincial, national and/or international competitions
- Leadership Qualities — Demonstrating the qualities of leadership, coachability, strong work ethic, and the characteristics of fair play both on and off the field of play
- Education — Demonstrating a commitment to academic studies and continued education
- Cultural Awareness — Demonstrating pride in their Indigenous ancestry and being actively engaged in cultural activities
- Future Goals — Demonstrating how their experience in sport is shaping their future
Only those competitive results/accomplishments achieved between September 25, 2021 and September 25, 2022 will be assessed. Nomination forms must be completed in full.
Applicants must not contact members of the selection committee regarding the status of their nomination. All requests for information should be directed to the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity & Recreation Council (I·SPARC).
Successful Regional Nominees
Successful nominees will be notified in November. Recipients will receive an invitation to attend a virtual regional ceremony held late 2022 and mid-2023.
The Regional recipients will automatically serve as nominees for the Provincial Awards. Provincial recipients will be notified in early 2023. Provincial recipients will receive an invitation to attend a virtual Provincial Awards ceremony, their profile will go on display at the BC Sports Hall of Fame, and they will receive a $500 bursary.